Thursday, July 05, 2012

Squash Pie

Our garden got a late start this year, but it's coming along nicely. And, in some cases, a little too nicely. Just what am I supposed to do with all this summer squash?

A fancy schmancy cook I'm not. Give me a simple, straight-forward recipe and I'm happy. And Weldon is even happier. This is Edith's recipe and it uses 3 cups of diced squash in one fell swoop! It's easy, very tasty, and any leftovers will freeze well.

SQUASH PIE
3 c. diced squash
1 diced onion
1/4 c. Wesson oil  
1 c. Bisquick
2 beaten eggs
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in a large bowl. Using a spoon, mix well.
Pour into a 10" pie pan (or any appropriate-sized casserole) sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes until golden brown.



You can get creative, of course. Try using half yellow squash and half zucchini. Throw in some peppers or add a little diced ham. But, take it from me, the recipe as written is delicious. And easy!! And uses up 3 cups of yellow squash in one fell swoop!!

P.S. There is nothing pie-ish about this dish, except that it can be baked in a pie plate. No crust, nothing gooey. I'd call it a casserole, but it's not my recipe, so I won't change the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment